Skip to Main Content
Farm Bureau Health Plans

Q: How Will I Get My Part D Medications If There Is A Natural Disaster?


A: Have you ever thought about what would happen if your medications were lost because of a natural disaster? Think about the Gatlinburg wildfire. And Hurricane Katrina. It’s estimated that 200,000 people on Medicare were displaced by Katrina.

Your Part D plan will help you get your medications if you are in an area that has been declared a natural disaster by your state governor, the Department of Health and Human Services or the President.

Start by contacting your drug plan. If you don’t have access to your plan’s phone number (it should be on the back of your ID card), you can get if from Medicare at 1-800-633-4227.

If your local network pharmacy has been impacted by the disaster, your plan will help you locate a pharmacy that will provide your medications. Save your receipts if you end up paying more than the network price; you’ll be able to file for a refund later. Think about asking for a 90-day supply of your medication if you think you’ll be displaced for any length of time.

Unfortunately, the plan is not going to waive your monthly premium. As soon as you are in a position to do so, make arrangements for the premium to be paid. Unless you are using an automatic deduction from your Social Security benefit. Then you’ll have nothing to worry about (hint, hint).

Visit a Farm Bureau Office

There are 200+ offices throughout Tennessee, so stop by and see us.

For More Information, call